Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Charlie Wilson's War

I strongly recommend this movie for all chess players.
Ok. There is not a lot of chess in this movie, though there is some.
It is generally a funny movie with an excellent Jacuzzi scene at the start so dont bring your grandparents unless there openly into that sort of thing. There are also some gruesome scenes so its not a movie for the squeamish.
It does have a nice chess metaphor at the end which I can not state without spoiling the movie. On a more serious note, what is most striking about the movie is it's social commentary and what it makes you aware of. Before I saw this film I thought I was aware of what the Russian's did in Afghanistan, I basically thought they went in, tried to steal someone else's country, got their asses kicked and eventually left, but I was totally ignorant as to how they massacred people there in such a ruthless, cruel and evil manner while most of the world stood by.

9 comments:

Robert Pearson said...

Nice review, thanks. Do we get to see Julia Roberts without a swimsuit?

chessboozer said...

No, but we get to see 3 others half her age without a swimsuit which is more than adequate compensation

Pawn Shaman said...

Those damn Ruskies. They are much better at chess than war. Lets just be happy you cant pillage a3.

Robert Pearson said...

Hey, I don't know about that, I pillaged h7 in my last game...

Robert Pearson said...

The world awaits another of your outstanding posts...and I hope you can drop in at ye olde clubbe sometime.

ChargingKing said...

What happened to Mr. Clifford? Did he quit chess and blogging??

Robert Pearson said...

Thanks for your comment the other day--sorry if I was snarky about the fires. It's really a terrible thing and I don't blame California, as such. Smoke is back again today worse than ever. How is it up there where you live?

chessboozer said...

I was just trying to be funny in my own silly way which tends to irritate people. The smoke here was pretty bad, got a little better yesterday though they are telling us to stay indoors. I was in Reno Tuesday. It was pretty bad there too and pretty bad up at Lake Tahoe. I went to Sacramento chess club on Thursday and there was a low turnout. Am wondering if this has to do with the smoke. On Thursay the sun here was orange and on Friday it was orange with smoke in front of it.

Robert Pearson said...

I'm going to come down to Sacramento and play some chess soon. I'll let you know when.